Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

No shopping

I was granted an unexpected day off this week. Monday was canceled due to lack of interest, which gave me a free day to do as I wished.
Things I wished to do did not include grocery shopping.
So, a challenge: make dinner with a nearly empty fridge and a cupboard holding only the bare essentials.

I dredged bacon from the freezer, found a forlorn tomato in the crisper, and dug out a bag of mixed lentils.Obviously, it was time for Lentil Soup.

The last thing the internet needs is another Slow Cooker Lentil Soup recipe. But this is really good and I made it all by myself.

Both my bosses went back for seconds and one started fantasizing about spooning leftovers on soft boiled eggs with toast for breakfast. He wanted me to name it after him so that his name could forever be attached to this soup.

He does that sometimes. If he tries to name food after himself, it means he really likes it. And, since I don't have a better name for this soup, I'll go ahead and let him have his way.
This time.


John's Favorite Lentil Soup.

1 1/2 cup mixed lentils
32 oz Chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 bay leaves
1 tomato, roughly chopped
10 oz. peppered bacon, roughly chopped 
1/2 yellow onion, chopped fine
7 cloves garlic, smashed and minced.

Fry your bacon in a hot pan until crispy. Remove bacon from the pan, leaving fat behind. Cook the onion and garlic in the bacon fat until completely soft and partially caramelized. Remove onion and garlic, leaving the fat in the pan.
Stir all ingredients together in the slow cooker. Stir in a couple tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat. Cook on high for four hours.

Note: The bacon can be optional, if you insist. Leave the bacon out and replace the grease with butter.

One plea before we go. Don't dump out the bacon fat, please. Use it. Save it in a jar in the fridge. There are so many uses for that stuff beyond frying eggs. Another post on that after Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment